Opioids have become common in relation to the use and misuse of drugs. Opioids are known for their useful role in the treatment of various disease conditions. However, there has been a current notion about their ability to cause addition. As such, most individuals have been faced with the question what is opioid addiction?
Opiods or opiates refer to those drugs that are used to relieve pain. A number of drugs are classified as opioids. They include heroin, morphine, cordeine, hydrocodone and oxycodone among others.
Opioid addiction is mainly caused by opioid dependence. This is the condition whereby individuals are characterized and diagnosed with their inability to stop using opiates. For opioid addiction or dependence to occur, certain factors may be responsible. It is these that provide a proper guidance during diagnosis. Some of these include:
- The occurrence even on those occasions when it is in the best interest of the individual to use the drugs. It takes place when the use of the psychoactive drug or drugs in general takes the first priority among individuals.
- The availability of a strong desire or the compulsive force to take and use the drug
- It is caused by the desire to obtain and take the drugs owing to a persistent behaviors that involves drug seeking.
- Great difficulty in controlling the behavior of drug taking
- A physiological state of withdrawal when one is stopped from using the drug. It also occurs when drug use is reduced. It thus acts as a substance withdrawal syndrome.
- Evidence of drug tolerance. This is shown only when increased doses of the drugs are required to achieve the desired effects.
Varied Opioid addiction
Different opiates have varied effects in the body. This is because of their difference in strengths. While others have a higher chance of dependence and addiction, others require very high doses to cause addiction. This has led to the comparison between different opiates. One of these is the Oxtcodone vs. Hydrocone comparison.
Oxycodone vs. hydrocodone
Both of these are examples of opiates. They are popular drugs among users and manufactures. Although they are both used to relieve pain, they are quite different in the sense that:
- Oxycodone has been found to be the stronger alternative. As such,5mg of oxycodone is equal to 7.5 mg of hydrocodone
- Hydrocodone is better for a lightweight stomach
- Hydrocodone has more disadvantages than oxycodone
There are several determinants and consequences that bring about a lot of problems to opioid addicts. These can be classifies as:
At times, opiod addictions results from the interaction of the three aspects.
Opioid dependence is the major component of opioid addiction. The good part is that it can be reduced or stopped. One of the major ways is to understand the particular opiate in use. Drug interaction should be properly explained and understood. It is also important to make use of the drugs as prescribed. Non prescribed drugs should not be used at whatever cost. With this, most people can avoid dependence and the consequent addiction by opiates.